Wondering how to hire a blog writer for your small business? Not sure how it works, what is involved in outsourcing your blogging, or if it’s an appropriate use of your marketing budget?
Are you ready to start generating more referrals for your business and wondering if investing in your blogging is what will get you there? The answer to that is both yes and no.
Having a strong foundation for your business’s marketing plan will take more than just consistently blogging. It takes creating consistent high-value blogging content that is optimized for visibility to make you stand out to your ideal clients when they click enter on their search magnifier!
But the thing about effectively blogging for your business is that it’s not a take a break and come back to it when you can type of deal.
With social media, we can easily step away and unplug and come back a week later without having lost any momentum with our audience.
With blogging, you can’t skip a week of content and go back without losing momentum in your websites search ranking
At a minimum, your business should be creating high-value blog content on at least a once-per-week basis.
And that content that you are creating has to be bigger and better than that of your competitors, especially if you are trying to claw your way into the holy grail of ‘Google 1st’!
Maybe writing just isn’t your thing, or maybe the thought of adding another responsibility to your plate as a small business owner seems daunting.
You can easily hire a blog writer for your small business who can handle the heavy lifting of not only writing weekly high-value content for your business but also making sure that your content is optimized so that your business is easily found on search engines such as Google!
Ready to skip to the part where you hire a blog writer for your small business? Click here to fill out the >>> contact form on my blogging page <<< and let’s schedule a time to chat!
When it’s time to hire a blog writer for your small business
Still not sure if it’s the right time to outsource your blogging?
Ask yourself if you are hoping to achieve the following for your business through blogging:
- Generate organic traffic and referrals for your business through your own website
- Create more visibility on search engines among your ideal clients
- Build a consistent marketing plan that requires weekly content
- Provide solutions & solve a problem through your content in order to establish trust in your brand
- Grow your email marketing list
Your approach to hiring a blog writer for your small business
If you ticked ‘yes’ on two or more of those bullet points then, yes, it’s time to outsource your blogging!
So how do find a blog writer for your business and what should your approach be in hiring them?
Finding the right blog writer for your business can be done in two steps.
First, ask your network of business friends for a referral to an experienced blog writer who they have previously worked with.
Secondly, do your own Google search for blog writers with heaps of experience!!
If one of your goals is for your own business to be found on Google then it only makes sense to find an experienced blog writer who can get their own content populated by the search engines.
Here’s a quick tip: Google 1st will be full of paid ads so be sure to drill down into pages 2 & 3 as well!
Once you have found 2-3 blog writers that you feel might be a fit for your business, take the time to set up a short call with them.
Most creative industry business owners will offer a free 15 – 30 minute discovery call with you to make sure that you are a fit for them and they are a fit for you.
Come prepared with questions and be clear about what your business goals are through using their blog writing services.
Keep reading to find out if it’s time to hire a blog writer for your small business!
Ready to hire a blog writer for your small business? Here’s what you should be prepared for!
- Communicate openly with each other about content & goals
- Be in it to win it. Blogging is a long game, be prepared to commit to their services for up to a year
- Keep a running list of topics relevant to your business that are not currently represented on your website
- Be prepared to pay a monthly fee to an experienced blogger who can bring you the results you are looking for
- Schedule time periodically to check in with each other on goals and to have a brainstorming session
- Ask them what is included in their services
The exact services provided by each blog writer will vary, but here are some of the key ingredients that should be included with each blog post that they create!
- SEO Rich Content
- SEO Keyword research
- Blog post titled for SEO
- Competitor Analysis
- Images titled & alt tagged so that they are Pinterest & Google ready
- Images formatted within the blog post
- 300+ words of copy, formatted and edited
- Calls to action added to each blog post, backlinked to your contact page & social channels where applicable
- Any other applicable backlinks added to the post [for depicted vendors or affiliate marketing]
- Internal search tags added to each post
- Category set
- Feature image selected & set
- SEO plugin completed
- Meta description optimized